Sumi-e Paint Brushes With Ceramic Ferrules
These brushes were made with bamboo and high-quality horsehair. The bamboo handles have a leather hanging and ceramic ferrules. I designed and made all of the ceramic ferrules. They each have sgraffito koi fish images on them and a satin glaze.
All three brushes can make dynamic marks.
The brushes are light in the hand, yet can make very expressive and larger marks.
- The dark auburn horsehair is 1.5" X 2 " in length
- Bristle is stiff, has great flex and is very thick
- The handle is 9" in length
Long Bristle Brush:
- The black horsehair is 4" in length
- The bristle hair is stiff and will splay well.
- The Handle is 6.25" in length
- The grey horsehair is 3x2.5" in length
- The hair is soft, very flexible and the bristle head has a wide rounded shape
- The handle is 12" in length
My brushes are made to create a vast array of marks. When I make a brush I think about all aspects of the tool: how it looks, how it feels in the hand and how it paints - to ensure that the end product is a true "fine art tool".
(Click on Images For Care Instructions and Demo)