Sumi-e Brushes with Bamboo Handles and Goat or Horsehair Bristles
These small goat or horsehair brushes are all made to order by Elizabeth. Each brush head is shaped/cut by hand. I take a lot of care to ensure my brushes work well, in addition to being beautiful :)
Available in either goat or horsehair - Goat is a very soft and absorbent hair, while the premium grey horsehair is much stiffer and has some coarseness to it. Both perform well and can make a variety of marks.
*Goat hair or 羊毛, youmou is flexible, durable, yet super soft and very absorbent. Soft brushes are a bit more challenging to master, but if used skillfully deliver very interesting, and to an extent, unpredictable lines.
- Handles are plain/uncarved
- The bamboo handles have leather hanging straps, have been cured/conditioned with beeswax paste
- Brush Handle Length: (6" - 7.5")
- Goat: $39 each
- Horsehair: $39 each
- Add Carving to Handle: $15 each handle
You may choose from several different bristle head shapes:
- Round Blunt Small (.5") or Med. (1")
- Wide Round 1.25" or Med. Round .75"
- Rounded Slant 1.25"
*Allow 3 working days to process order
To purchase use the drop down menu to select your favorite style brush.
(Click to See Brush Demo Video)